Monday, 8 June 2015

on 'being bohemian'...



... I was out the other night. This is something that I don't do all that often, but I was there, proper OUT, in a bar, in the CITY (wow!), having a chat. As you do...

... And then someone said to me: 'What do you do?'


So I explained, as best as I could. Then they said: "So you must be very 'Bohemian'".


... This stumped me. It wasn't a question or an opportunity for a bit of a discussion. It was a statement of a-mind-already-made-up. I loath it when that happens. That thing of having a W I L D assumption made of you. Do you know what I mean? It's not that I mind someone making an assumption because that's what people do I suppose isn't it? Make assumptions about other people. It's just that I'm totally unprepared for these statement of facts. They catch me off guard. And whether I'm being 'bohemian', or anything else for that matter, is something that takes a bit of thought...a bit of consideration before one declares oneself to the world to be this, that or the other.

I don't like labels. I don't like them because they are 'what they say on the tin'. People are rarely just 'what they say on the tin'. They are uniquely a bit of this, a bit of that and a bit of the other ... A jumble ... a mix and match of individual experiences and an ancient history of genetics ... of different paths trodden ... of other people and personalities met along the way...


... So, am I Bohemian? Well, I've clearly never given this any thought so this needs to addressed and a suitable answer found just incase someone else at some point in the future presumes to make the same statement. I need to have my answer stored away so that the next time, I will have my reply. So, what is it to be 'Bohemian'?


...Well the dictionary says:


1.  a native or inhabitant of Bohemia.

Definitely not this.


2.  relating to Bohemia or its people.


So not this either.


3.  someone who practices an unconventional lifestyle, often in the company of like-minded people, with few permanent ties, involving musical, artistic, or literary pursuits. Bohemians may be wanderers, adventurers, or vagabonds.


So there we have it. I'm afraid I have to disappoint. I am none of the above. I have to dispel the myth that I'm something extraordinary, exotic or of hugely interesting character ... How I would love to be a romantic, artistic individual, roaming the countryside in my pretty painted horse-drawn caravan searching for artistic inspiration at every twist and turn... but alas and alack, not so.


...So here it is, in plain black and white ... I'm a Mum of 2 who does the school run, goes to the supermarket, pays her taxes and needs to pay the mortgage, and who just happens to draw for her job... So, I'd better hang up my travellers cloak, tie up the horse and get back to it. But, there is one thing I will keep from my explorations Person In The Bar in the Big City: an open mind and my ability to question! x



No comments:

Post a Comment